The recent release of the Sensis Social Media Report 2016 is essential reading for all business operators. It reveals we love our social media more and more. For example time spent on Facebook has increased over 40% on last year and now exceeds 12.5 hours per week. That’s more than half a day per week.
- Facebook is King. 70% of the population has a social media profile and of these 95% have a profile on Facebook.
- Respondents access Social Media about 32 times each week (roughly the same as previous year). However, the time spent when checking in has risen 40% on last year, rising from 17 mins per check in to 24 mins. That equals 12.5 hours per week.
- And we check in at all times of the day.
- 49% first thing we do when we open our eyes in the morning
- 18% when commuting
- 22% during work
- 33% breaks
- 36% lunch time
- 63% after work
- 35% last thing before going to bed
- 48% of small and medium enterprises (SME’s) are on social media (+17% on last year) and 79% of large business (+23% on last year)
- Smartphone ownership up +6% on last year reaching 76% penetration. On average the population have three internet enabled devices.
- An important takeaway is the population are paying more importance to reviews. They are reading them and making them much more easily. This is Tripadvisor, Yelp , Zomato and many others. This is the “word of mouth” which has always been customers most trusted information. This underlines the need for businesses to get on the front foot and avoid negative reviews if you can. We have published a lot on the topic of social media over the years and we put up a great post on this very topic a couple of years ago. If you want some quick tips on handling bad reviews it is still available here – “How to deal with negative comments on social media“
- It is more a question of how rather than if business and markets should use social media to connect and engage with consumers meaningfully
and effectively. From this report you can get an insight into When to post, Who to post to, What to post, Where to post.
- The full report can be down loaded here.